Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Week-end share - Ice Dyeing


Now doesn't that look like fun?
Well after two days of playing with dye, my hand looked similar.  I know I should have wore my gloves more often!

Anyways I wanted to try ice dyeing after reading an article in Quilting Arts Magazine.  They have had several about ice dyeing and ice parfaits.  What interested me was the intense colors that you get from the Jacquard Procion MX Dye.

Here is what I did.  Your first step is to soak you fabric in soda ash bath for about 30mins.  Which you should use that time to set up your dyeing station.  I forgot to cover my plastic table...oh well I little dye won't kill you. 



After the soda ash bath, you need to fold your fabric and position you fabric over tubs (forgot to photo that.)  I used plastic shoe boxes with the cabinet mesh over them, so the dye could drain freely.

Next I added ice and sprinkled powder dye on the ice.  This is where you need to wear glasses and face mask as the powder is very fine and air borne.


As you can see I need a little work on sprinkling my dye, probably wasted more than I should have.  It's a learning curve!


Now comes the hard part...leave it covered with a towel or plastic for 24 hours.  No peeking!
Yeah! I'm like a kid I had to peek before going to bed.

This is what I woke up to...


 So there are three mixes...multi, red & yellow to get oranges, and teal/blue.
I was really hoping to get a nice blue that looked like the ocean.
I think the experiment went well.

Let me know what you think.








They do look a little like tie dye, but I think I would do it again maybe with smaller pieces of fabric.

Happy Tuesday!

Judy

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous pieces Judy! The teal/blue is my favorite but I really like the other two as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin